So now that you have your web site up and running, how do you make it easy for search engines to find you?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can be so overwhelming for people who are just starting out in the digital world. But I am here to tell all you newbies out there that even small adjustments can make a huge difference. And you don’t need to call your web developer! No coding skills are needed. So let’s get started:
7 Easy ways to improve SEO
- Make sure all the page titles have descriptive text. It should be a clear and concise explanation of what the page is all about.
- All your image alt tags should be filled out describing what the image is. Not only does this help SEO, but it also helps with making them accessible to people who use screenreaders. So in other words, don’t upload an image directly from your camera and call it “image”. Image of what?
- Make sure your website has compliant code. Don’t be scared! There are tools out there that can scan your site for broken links and any code errors that could be penalizing you.
- Page Url has keywords in it. If you are using a content management system (CMS) such as WordPress, make sure you change your permalink structure to show real words. You don’t want to show computer generated numbers and symbols in the url.
- Meta Description is concise and tells people what you are about. This should be a short summary of who you are and what this page is about. Generally it is about 150-200 characters long.
- Quality page content. Having relevant content that is useful for your readers wins the SEO battle. It keeps them engaged and coming back for more. Google will actually penalize you for stuffing your content with useless keywords, so make sure you write for real people and not search engines.
- Make it easy to share. People love to share content they love across many channels. So make it easy for them! Having a blog on your site with buttons to share posts across social media is rewarded.